Friday, April 18, 2003

Well, my wife tells me that she thought my post on post-modern feminism was


"Weak. Not bad, just... weak".


I'll admit, feminism is not my strength. Being a man I am, essentially, an observer of the dynamic. Much like childbirth; I sympathize, and man! it looks painful. But, in the end, all I can do is say "You can do it! Don't quit! Almost there, now!"


Actually, during labor my wife tells me to shut the Hell up.


Maybe the feminist movement and childbirth have more in common than I thought.


Whatever. Later tonight I will return to two of my favorites - geopolitics and theology.


Funny story: during the birth of our third son, Sam, I was quietly moving about, keeping everything neat and orderly, when the midwife commented,


"You are awfully... distant, aren't you? Most husbands are coaching their wives."


I replied, "She needs to concentrate. She knows that I'm here, she knows that I love her, and she knows that I'll do anything for her."


"Aw, that is so sweet."


Behind her, Jen was glaring at me to shut up.

No comments: